Sunday, August 23, 2009

Gone...but never to be forgotten.




Dear Grandpa, August 5, 2009

As I sit here and try to put my thoughts on paper there are so many different things that come to mind when I think about you.

Grandpa’s garden: I have never seen a more organized and weed free garden in my whole life. I remember going out to the garden at the house I grew up in, and taking it all for granted. Now that I am an adult I appreciate the hard work and dedication it takes to grow a successful garden and I think about all you did to help feed us as we were growing up.
Music: From the piano to the violin and to your voice. Sunday night visits were always special when the barber shop quartet would get together and practice, or when you would play the Stinky old cadaver song. And once in a while you would pull out the old violin and play.
Service: Whether it is church or civic service, you have always been there to help someone out. You were the priesthood to my family when we did not have it in our home. You have been an example of unwavering temple service for I-don’t-know-how-many years. You showed us grandchildren the importance of serving a mission by going yourself.
I will always think about the time I spent with you and grandma…all by myself. I was so confused when grandma would tell me that I had to be quiet because you were working in the graveyard. And then you would be working on the swings. But I knew all along that you worked at Geneva. I thought that they must have a graveyard with swings. So confusing.
I just want to thank you for the example you have been to me. I have always known that you will be there whenever we needed anything. Your devotion to your family and your faith has shown me what is important in life.
THANK YOU

Suz

2 comments:

Brenda said...

I enjoyed your comments. I am sitting here with tears. Sure do miss him!

Carrie Medford said...

Can I get some of the pictures from the funeral? I couldn't go but I would love to see them.