Saturday, September 26, 2009

Confessions of a pack rat

I came to a realization today that I am a pack rat. I also suffer from pack rat guilt. I don't know if this is a recognized medical condition, but I have it. I realized this today as I was cleaning off my kitchen counter. There is a thank you note from someone in the ward and I don't know what to do with it. I have read it, I don't have a particular emotional connection to this individual, yet I can't throw it away. I will never look for this letter again, but the thought of throwing it away causes anxiety. This is the time when I now share that this is not unique to this particular thank you note. I have kept ALL of the cards we received for our wedding (this was over 3 years ago). These are in a suitcase downstairs, and I can't bring myself to throw them away. I know that I need to let go, but for some reason.....

HELP!!

2 comments:

Natalie Strong said...

Welcome to the packrat club. I am so bad that I can't even see the top of my dresser anymore. The last time I cleaned off my dresser I told myself that I wouldn't let it get that bad again. Somehow, little by little, it happened again. One of these days I am just going to have to tackle it and clean it off again, and throw some things away.

Amy E. said...

Just do it! Just do it! It feels sooooooo cathartic to just throw some of those things away. I live in a little house, so I guess I don't have much choice, I just have to chuck things, and I can't feel guilty b/c there is just nowhere to put it. I know, just move into a small house...ha ha