A few years ago in my ethics and values class we talked about natural law and consequences. I have had personal expericnces when I have experienced both immediate gratification and immediate punishment. Yet, the hardest thing to do, in my opinion, is to work toward something knowing that you will have delayed gratification...now delayed punishment..that is something we all hope for every day. (Espically when we grab the donut instead of the apple in the morning.) But when we are on the other side, waiting for someone to have to answer for their behavior, we all want immediate punishment. Just like in the parable of the unjust debtor. He was grateful that his debt was forgiven, but wanted justice--immediate and the the fullest extent of the law--when on the other side of the coin.
Natural consequences--when your punishment or reward is not brought about by any outside force, it is simply the only option when you make the decision you did. (i.e. you eat the donut and don't work out...you will gain weight) Those are the hardest to wait for, espically when they are ones that come over time. I just have to find out how to be patient when one persons actions cause pain over and over again. It is hard to bear with grace the burden, and not fall victim to anger and bitterness. Am I ready to forgive....maybe not right now. Hopefully with time, I can become like the first man in the parable, and not as much like the 2nd.
2 comments:
Your blogs are so deep. Here I am blogging about blueberries and getting a body like an Olympic beach volleyball player. I've got to step up my game!
Good stuff.....You should be a writer !
Post a Comment