Friday, December 19, 2008

Snowstorms and Samaratians

Yesterday I was on my way back to work after the elementary christmas sing and I had a moment to refelct. I was in the turning lane and someone a couple of cars ahead of me got stuck in a hole in the ice. I watched as someone in a truck next to them stopped traffic to pull them out. I was surprised that not one person behind them used their horn or yelled out the window. I don't know if it is the holiday season or the snow that seems to bring out the best and the worst in people. It got me to thinking about years ago and examples in my own past....like when Demar Beck stopped and shoveled Kent and Jackie's driveway so that Jackie (pregnant with Riley) and I did not have to do it....Like when Mr. Romrell (the custodian at the elementary school) pulled the car out of a snowdrift when Nicole got it stuck out on main street. When I watched the Elders in my district lift a car out of an ice hole on our way Christmas Caroling (not to mention getting their feet wet and freezing for the rest of the night). And the years of generosity to my family when things were lean. I also remembered the times when I was able to give a little. As a missionary your life is filled with serving the Lord and serving others. But after 10 years in the 'real world'....we'll stop there. Hopefully this year we will have to opportunity to look outside ourselves and fill a need for someone else. Don't get discouraged if you don't have a lot of money to give, sometimes your time means more than all the money in the world.

No comments: